Monday, February 28, 2005

Mercedes SLK320 Vs. BMW Z4

After eliminating three east coast schools - Wharton, MIT Sloan, and Columbia - from consideration, I'm still evaluating Berkeley Haas and UCLA Anderson. With this in mind, I tried to compare them to something I know well - cars.

For example, HBS is the $250K Bentley.
The best available but, for most, unattainable.

Berkeley would be a Mercedes Benz. MBZ has a strong reputation in terms of craftsmanship and tradition. With its classic German engineering, it’s revered in terms of style, reliability and as a status symbol of wealth. The Haas School of Business would be considered the SLK320 with its small and intimate cabin (class).
Though the Haas School of Business is not as widely recognized as the world-renowned engineering department at Berkeley (S500), it's overall Mercedes brand carries the school internationally.

UCLA would be a BMW. Set in the background of Los Angeles, it cultivates an image of style and panache. Flashy; sporty; a social icon that appeals to the young and energetic. It's overall reputation as a vehicle is not as strong as the Mercedes Benz, but you wouldn't be able to tell from its enthusiastic drivers. BMW drivers are exceptionally loyal and proud to own "The Ultimate Driving Machine." UCLA Anderson would transcend into a BMW Z4.
The driving experience is much more exciting and edgy when compared to the smooth driving style of the MBZ, but it's longevity (post-MBA career) is questionable.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wakechick said...

Is the vehicle you currently drive any indicator? Do you want to stick with what you're driving or upgrade?

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first car that I drove was a BMW that I inherited from my dad...served us well for 20 years. My mom's Mercedes on the other hand, well...

3:51 PM  
Blogger MargaritaLuvr said...

Cal Grad, what's the scoop on the UCLA happy hour?

4:30 PM  
Blogger Cal Grad said...

WC: Haha ... no, but I do consider myself more of a BMW guy - though I think I will "grow" into a MBZ.

Erkki: Translation: "UCLA served us well for 20 years, while Berkeley ..." =)

ML: I'll post an entry on my overall UCLA Anderson experience soon!

10:16 AM  
Blogger tyreon wheels said...

I recently search on google and find you awesome blog.Buy BMW Z4 Tyres Online in very reasonable price.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home